|Engineer / Architect:||Maximilien Godefroy|
Calvert Street, between East Fayette and East Lexington Streets
|Structural Form:||masonry tower|
|Historical Details:||The Battle Monument was built to celebrate the sacrifice of the soldiers who died defending Baltimore against the British during the War of 1812. The Battle Monument, together with the Washington Monument prompted John Quincy Adams to name Baltimore "the Monumental City".|
|Image Source(s):||Rachel Sangree|
J. Dorsey and J.D. Dilts, A Guide to Baltimore Architecture (Third Edition), Tidewater Publishers, Centreville, MD (1997), p. 144;
M.E Hayward and F.R. Shivers, Jr., the Architecture of Baltimore: An Illustrated History, The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore (2004), p. 80.