My name is Mikhail (Misha) and I was born and grew up in Russia. After graduating from high-school in my hometown of Cheboksary, I attended an international IB school in Bosnia and Herzegovina between 2008 and 2010, which allowed me to come to the States for my Bachelor's. I received my Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from Bucknell University in 2014.
I am now pursuing Ph.D. degree at Johns Hopkins University in Civil Engineering with the focus on manufacturing constraints in topology optimization for additive manufacturing. I enjoy traveling, spending time with friends and family and playing musical instruments.
Topology Optimization, Additive Manufacturing, Computer-aided Design, Large-scale Topology Optimization, High-Performance Computing, C/C++ Programming
PhD, Civil Engineering, Johns Hopkins University (2014 - Present)
B.S., Civil Engineering, Bucknell University (2010 - 2014)
Papers & Publications
- Osanov M. and Guest J.K. (2016). Topology Optimization for Architected Materials Design. Annual Reviews in Materials Research 46:211-233.
- Osanov, M., Guest, J.K., 2017, "Topology Optimization for Additive Manufacturing: Considering Layer-Based Minimum Feature Sizes", Proceedings of the ASME 2017 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences &
Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, IDETC/CIE 2017, Cleveland, OH, USA
- Osanov, M., Carstensen, J.V., Tromme, E.M., Guest, J.K., and Williams, C., 2016, "Topology Optimization for Additive Manufacturing: New Projection-based Design Algorithms", 17th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, AIAA AVIATION Forum, (AIAA 2016-3213) http://dx.doi.org/10.2514/6.2016-3213
- Buonopane, S., and Osanov, M., 2015, "Evaluation of August Komendant's Structural Design of the Shells of the Kimbell Art Museum". 5ICCH Proceedings [Volume 1]. Paper presented at the Fifth International Construction History Congress, Chicago (283-290).
- Osanov M., Guest J.K. (2017). Topology Optimization for Photopolymer-based Additive Manufacturing. WCSMO12, Braunschweig, Germany, June, 2017.
- Osanov M., Carstensen J.V., Tromme E., Guest J.K. (2016). Topology Optimization for Additive Manufacturing: New Projection-based Design Algorithms (poster). AM3D 2016, Charlotte, NC, August, 2016.
- Osanov M., Carstensen J.V., Tromme E., Guest J.K. (2016). Topology Optimization for Additive Manufacturing: New Projection-based Design Algorithms. Aviation 2016, AIAA, Washington D.C., July, 2016.
- Osanov M., Williams C.B, Guest J.K. Topology Optimization for Additive Manufacturing, 2016 Conference of the Engineering Mechanics Institute, Nashville, TN, May, 2016.
- Graduate Research Assistant, Civil Engineering Department, Johns Hopkins University (August 2014 - Present)
- JHU TopOpt Group Website Developer, Johns Hopkins University (October 2015 - January 2017)
- Hopkins Engineering Applications & Research Tutorials (HEART) Instructor, Johns Hopkins University (September 2016 - December 2016)
- Hopkins Engineering Applications & Research Tutorials (HEART) Instructor, Johns Hopkins University (September 2015 - December 2015)
- Development of Teaching Module, Department of Civil Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, (May 2015 - September 2015)
Development of virtual laboratory experiments using ABAQUS tools, which modeled the physical labs performed by the students of Statics and Mechanics of Materials (EN 530.201/560.201), including "real time" plotting of data extracted form the models, similar to the plots required by the students in their reports.
Funded by the Center for Educational Resources at Johns Hopkins University.
- Student Consultant, Pennsylvania SBDC (August 2011 - May 2014)
- Research Assistant, Civil Engineering Department, Bucknell University (May 2012 - July 2014)
- Teaching Assistant, Mechanics of Materials, Civil Engineering Department, Bucknell University (September 2012 - December 2012)
Title: Ph.D. Student
Department: Civil Engineering
Email: mosanov1 (at) jhu .edu
Please email Mikhail for his CV