I am currently a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Department of Civil Engineering at Johns Hopkins University, working with Prof. James Guest. My primary areas of research are design and optimization of coupled and uncoupled problems with particular focus on energy systems like ultra-efficient thermo-fluid devices, lithium-ion batteries, and fuel cells.
I received my Ph.D. from the University of Colorado Boulder and my doctoral dissertation was conducted under supervision of Prof. Kurt Maute. My Ph.D. thesis was focused on the development of a simulation and parameter identification methodology for lithium-ion batteries. The research accounted for discretization of the transport, electrochemical, mechanical, and degradation models by a multi-scale FEM and XFEM, damage evolution in the electrode active particles, cohesion and delamination along the interface between the electrolyte and active particles, and parameter identification using the design optimization approach.
At Johns Hopkins University, my Postdoctoral research simultaneously focuses on multiple projects including topology optimization of structures subjected to transient loading, experimental and numerical studies on critical length scales for heat dissipation in redox foils, and more importantly developing a topology optimization and additive manufacturing methodology for designing ultra-efficient thermo-fluidic devices; were I developed a topology optimization framework for natural and forced convection problems that describes the thermal transport via fluid motion.
|Modeling, Simulation, and Optimization of Energy Storage Systems|
|Topology and Shape Optimization of Structures and Multi-Physics Problems|
|Fracture Mechanics and eXtended Finite Element Method (XFEM)|
|Computational Finite Inelasticity and Multiphase Mechanics|
|Postdoctoral Fellow, Civil Engineering, Johns Hopkins University (2016-Present).|
|Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Civil Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder (2012 - 2016).|
|Master of Science (M.Sc.), Civil Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder (2012 - 2014).|
|Master of Science (M.Sc.), Civil Engineering, Tarbiat Modares University (2007 - 2010).|
|Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.), Civil Engineering, Tabriz University (2003 - 2007).|
Papers & Publications
- Kinsey A. H., Behrou R., Guest J. K., Weihs T. P. (2017) Critical Heat Dissipation Length Scales in Fully Dense Thermite Foils, Journal of Combustion and Flame, accepted.
- Behrou R., Guest J. K. (2017) Topology optimization for transient response of structures subjected to dynamic loads, 18th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference.
- Behrou, R., Lawry, M., Maute, K. (2016) Level set topology optimization of structural problems with interface cohesion. International Journal for Numerical Method in Engineering, Accepted.
- Behrou R., Maute K. (2017) Numerical modeling of damage evolution phenomenon in all solid-state lithium-ion batteries, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 164 (12), A2573-A2589.
- Behrou R., Maute K. (2017) Multiscale Modeling of Non-Local Damage Evolution in Lithium-Ion Batteries, ECS Transactions, 77 (11), 1163-1177.
- Behrou R. (2017) A Thermo-Poro-Viscoelastic Model for the Behavior of Polymeric Porous Separators, ECS Transactions, 80 (8), 583-591.
- Behrou, R., Whiteley, J., Lee, S. H., Maute, K. (2016) Numerical modeling, experimental observations, and parametric study in bulk all-solid-state lithium batteries. Journal of Power source, In preparation.
- Smith, K., Maute, K., Behrou, R., Santhanagopalan, S. (2014) Simulation of Macro Scale Mechanical Behavior of Pouch Cell Lithium-Ion Batteries. The Electrochemical Society, 3(319).
- Behrou, R., Maute, K., Smith, K. (2014) Numerical Simulation of Pressure Management Strategies for Lithium-ion Pouch Cells. 17th U.S. National Congress on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics.
- Behrou R., Guest J. K., Topology optimization for transient response of structures subjected to dynamic loads, 18th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, 5-9 June 2017, Denver, CO.
- Behrou R., Guest J. K., Topology optimization of structures subjected to transient loading, ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference, 4-7 June 2017, San Diego, CA.
- Behrou R., Maute K., Multiscale Modeling of Non-Local Damage Evolution in Lithium-Ion Batteries, 231st ECS Meeting, May 28-June 1, 2017, New Orleans, LA.
- Lawry M., Behrou R., Maute K., Topology Optimization of Composites Accounting for Non-Linear Interface Phenomena, 13th U.S. National Congress on Computational Mechanics, July 26-30, 2017, San Diego, CA.
- Lawry M., Behrou R., Maute K., On the Influence of Interface Models on the Optimum Layout of Multi-component Structures and Material Systems, 11th world congress of structural and multidisciplinary optimization, June 7-12, 2015, Sydney, Australia.
- Smith K., Kim G., Santhanagopalan S., Shi Y., Pesaran A., Mukherjee P., Barai P., Maute K., Behrou R., Patil C., Model-Based Design and Integration of Large Li-ion Battery Systems, 11th Annual Knowledge Foundation’s Lithium Battery Power, November 17-19, 2015, Baltimore, MD.
- Smith, K., Maute, K., Behrou, R., Santhanagopalan, S. (2014) Simulation of Macro Scale Mechanical Behavior of Pouch Cell Lithium-Ion Batteries, 225st ECS Meeting, May 11-15, 2017, Orlando, FL.
- Behrou, R., Maute, K., Smith, K. (2014) Numerical Simulation of Pressure Management Strategies for Lithium-ion Pouch Cells, 17th U.S. National Congress on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, June 15-20, 2014, East Lansing, Michigan.
- Instructor, Johns Hopkins University, Hopkins Engineering Applications & Research Tutorials (HEART) Program (2017).
- Research Assistant, Center for Aerospace structure, University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO. (2012 - 2016).
Title: Postdoctoral Fellow
Department: Civil Engineering
Email: rbehrou (at) jhu .edu
Please email Reza for his CV